So I’ve been reading a lot on happiness lately and I seem to see signs everywhere pointing me towards doing something more motivating, more enjoyable, something that makes the day go by a lot faster. One of the things I used to do all the time and thought I was really good at was problem solving using MIcrosoft SQL – writing code. The days would fly by and I was super energized. I don’t feel that way anymore and it’s sad. I want to get back into it. Life is too short to be spending time doing something you don’t enjoy.
So, too my point. I’m thinking about spinning up on Microsoft SQL Azure. Re-learning my old skill with a new twist (Azure is Microsoft’s cloud computing offering). So over the next few week’s I’ll be putting together a plan to sharpen my skills a bit and get back in the technical groove as time permits. At least that’s the plan for now. 🙂
So, a huge area of focus for me this year is on health, fitness, and overall wellness. I’ve been spending a fair amount of time in e-mail telling people what tools I’ve been using as well as which books I’ve been reading. So I thought it a perfect opportunity to document the health tech tools, websites, and books I’ve been using.
- I bought a Withing Scale from Amazon which lets me track my weight automatically on my computer (sends wirelessly) and through my phone so I can see trending and keep me honest on my diet and exercise!
I purchased a pro membership with DailyBurn.com –> my withing scale also feeds my profile here and lets me track calories and workouts online and on my phone (while I’m in the gym recording sets and distance walked / run etc…)
- I purchased a “FitBit” that lets me track my daily activity and sleep patterns. Sadly my Fitbit has yet to arrive (ordered in December but they are way way backordered because they are so popular).
- I purchased and read TRANSCEND a book co-authored by Ray Kurzwell which is just crazy awesome (in the true meaning of the word) with some of the things it makes you think about and I would highly, highly recommend as a read… if nothing else, for the intellectual stimulation and some great conversation material. Just google Ray Kurzwell and you’ll see what I mean!
- I’m currently reading “Strength for Life” which so far seems great and is really motivating me!
- I’ve gotten a bit into the power of the spoken word and the law of attraction which some people will poo poo (forgive me if you do as well) but I can’t help but feel good when I think about some of the concepts and ideas there. What started me on that kick was a couple of different books / videos that I’ve watched… one that describes all the craziness and quantum physics behind some of that phenomenon called “what the bleep do we know” and another that a friend recommended called “the secret“.